nav bar

Image Map

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

DIY Silhouette Photography

Hey y'all!  Remember Monday when I told you about a quick photography session I had coming up!?!?  Well, it went really well...even though we were freezing!  We were going for silhouette photos, so I had to do a lot of research!  I am nowhere close to being a professional with my camera.  But, it's become a really fun hobby and I love getting the practice!   I set out on a mission to find out how to shoot silhouette photography and you wouldn't believe the resources out there!
Here are a few of the sites I studied up on:
These are the settings I used on my Nikon D3100 with a 35mm lens: 
SS 1/80   F10   200 ISO
This was my first attempt at silhouettes so it was really a trial and error session.  Plus, your best setting for these photo's are sunset or sunrise.  You want all of the light coming from behind your subject and minimal light hitting your subject from the front.  So, once the sun starts to set or rise you literally have minutes!  I was shooting quickly and glancing at my screen as we went.  From what I could tell, they were looking great.  When I got back to the house and started editing, ideally the photo's would have been a little darker.  However, it was nothing a little PICMONKEY editing couldnt' fix!  I uploaded my photo's and used the exposure tab to adjust the shadows darker and the highlights brighter.  They turned out great after a little tweaking!  But, remember....I'm no pro.  Do your research and practice until you get the right shot! :)
Ok, enough of all that...let's see some pictures!
I was happy with how they turned out for my first attempt, and I think Autumn was too!  Now, if that little baby would just hurry up and get here! 
Thanks for stopping by!  Hope you have a great day!
Linking Up:
 

15 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! Your photography is just great! These photos turned out just wonderfully... thanks so much for sharing your tips with us. I am pinning this on my photography board. I saw your post over at Savvy Southern Style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thank you soooo much! And, thanks for pinning!!! Hope you have a great day! :)

      Delete
  2. These turned out so AWESOME!! Great job Emily!! Pinning & tweeting now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Emily! I am a great fan of silhouettes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I can't wait to take more! They were so fun and I love the look of them!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous!! I'm 6 months pregnant, maybe we'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! You totally should! They are such great keepsakes! Have a great weekend. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. This looks great! I'm honored to be next to The Pioneer woman! found you via snap link up;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kristen! Your post was so helpful! I'm glad you found us! :) Thank you for stopping by! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a fabulous job! I know Autumn and her hubbie must be so proud. I am a new follower. Please stop by Still Woods Farmhouse when you get a chance. I am sharing spring wreaths today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'll definitley stop by! :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  8. I am really pleased to post my comment on this blog .I love your blog by the way, I am gonna have to add you to my list of watched blogs
    Ocean Photography Posters

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just received a 3100 as a gift and would like to try this! I'm 7 months too..... Idk much about photography at all....is flash supposed to be on??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Leslie! No you will want to use your camera in manual mode with no flash. I'm no pro either! I played around with the settings until I got it close to what I wanted and then achieved the perfect, finished look through editing...because I'm actually FAR from being a pro! haha! good luck!!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...