nav bar

Image Map

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Using Pinterest to Meal Plan

Happy Wednesday friends!  We finally had a sunshine filled day yesterday!  Can't wait for spring!  While we wait for that to slowly arrive, let's talk about food! OK?

Raise your hand if you use PINTEREST.  If you have a board dedicated to food and recipes.  If you constantly find yourself searching through your food board for that one recipe you're looking for.  I'm raising three hands over here...how bout you????

We're going to show you how we use Pinterest to Meal Plan.



I wanted to attempt (keyword - attempt) to meal plan at our house.  This attempt is intended to help streamline our grocery shopping, our budget, and the cooking process in general.  As you've seen here and here, I'm not alone in the kitchen!  Charlie loves to cook and create and I kinda love that about him.  So sometimes we cook together, sometimes I cook, and sometimes he cooks.  Using this method, we are able to plan ahead by always having the ingredients needed for each recipe and narrow down the process of deciding what to fix no matter who is doing the cooking!  

Let me just start by admitting that I strongly considered making one of those adorable DIY Menu Planning Boards to display oh-so-cutely in the kitchen.



But let's get real here people.  I'm not even going to pretend like I have the patience and organizational skills to actually follow through with this plan.  Mine would end up saying "potato soup - Monday" every single Monday because it would never get changed.  Which means DIY project - FAIL!!!

Ain't Nobody Got Time For That!
(hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!)

Anyways...

So, I have this board on Pinterest.  It's called "FOOD FOR THE SOUL".


It's 336 pins strong and growing by the minute...



Which means looking for that one recipe takes about 336 minutes!!!!

Here's where the Pinterest Meal Planning comes into play.  Have you heard of a little thing called "secret boards"?  If you haven't you're really missing out.  It was a great day in Pinterest History when this little addition was announced.  I have several.  But, they're secret. So we'll leave it at that.  

Except for this one...let's talk about this one...


I created this secret board called "It's what's for dinner..." and I invited Charlie to pin to it also.  Every Friday or Saturday I go through my "Food for the Soul" board and browse the popular recipes to pick out some recipe's I want to try the following week.  Then, I repin them onto my Secret Board.  Then, I open each recipe and make my shopping list for any items I know I don't have at home already.  I typically find myself at the grocery store once a week anyways, so this isn't an "extra trip" for me.  You could easily turn this into a bi-weekly or monthly planning method if that works better for you.  But, as I mentioned earlier, I am not the most organized and patient person so working with a shorter time frame works best for me!!!

So here's what my Pinterest Meal Planning - Secret Board looked like this past week!


Recognize anything!?!?  We made the Sweet and Sour Chicken and Fried Rice and the Italian Beef and shared it with you guys!  

So, each day, whoever was cooking, would visit our secret board and pick a recipe (or two) for that night's dinner.  Then, you don't have the paper recipe's laying around everywhere and junking up your counter tops and the recipes are always available to both myself and Charlie.

At the end of the week, when I start the process over, I delete the recipe's from the secret board.

YIKES!!

What?

DELETE????

Don't worry! Remember, you RE-PINNED them from your other food board.  There still safely stored there for repeat usage!  Then, your weekly Pinterest Meal Planning Board won't be chucked full of recipes for you to search through every day!  Voila!  Meal Planning via Pinterest.  It's that easy folks.  Even I can do it!  Seriously, what isn't Pinterest good for!?!?  Remind me again, what we did before Pinterest? 

There, you have it!  The B&W Pinterest Meal Planning Method!


Thank you so much for stopping by today! I hope you have an amazing rest of the week and don't forget to check back on Friday for FINALLY FRIDAY {Take 3}!!!



Linking up:

Semi-Homomade Mom

Someday Crafts
Lil Luna
Savy Southern Style
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
The Thrifty Home
Crafty Scrappy Happy
The Shabby Nest
Love Of Family & Home



4 comments:

  1. Great tips! I need to do some meal planning soon anyway, so thanks for the idea to use the secret boards! Thanks for linking up at Whatever Goes Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Miranda! Thank you! And, thanks for stopping by and for hosting each week!

      Delete
  2. This is a fabulous idea! I pinned it to remember ;-) Have a great weekend!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nici! And, thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...