nav bar

Image Map

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

DIY Photo Frame

Hey y'all.........for those of you who don't know me; the name is Charlie.  I am the one who is usually covered in saw dust, paint and whatever else my wife talks to me into making.  She comes up with the idea and I (like a magician) am supposed to make it real. 
 
While sitting down one night we began talking about picture frames and how we would finish our "striped hallway gallery wall". (Photos to come of that project)  For some reason I told her that I had an idea to make a real neat frame, but not sure if it would turn out like I imagined.  Well......after a few hours in the garage, I created an antique barn wood frame.  Here's how it happened...
 
 
The wood I used came from an old fence that was on the family farm.  It is American Redwood and if I had to guess it is approximately 50 years old.  I know most of you don't have wood like this laying around so any wood of your liking will do.  If you like the look of the "Barn Wood" check back later and I will show you how to distress wood.  I started out by cutting the 1x6x8 board and then ripping it until I had two 20" long by 3"wide pieces and two 15" long by 3" wide.  
 
Shown below is a Kreg Joint Kit.  I purchased mine at Lowes for around $20.  This tool comes in handy for many DIY projects to build a strong joint of two boards.  The Kreg tool allows you to drill at an angle to join two boards with a self tapping screw. 
 
 
Once you have your boards cut, place the Kreg at one end of the shorter board.  Using a "C" clamp secure the Kreg to the board and drill the pilot holes. I put two holes into the board to make for a snug fit.
 
 
This is what your board should look like when finished with the Kreg.  Notice how the holes are angled, allowing the screw to go in straight.  Complete this process on both sides of your two shorter boards.
 
 
I then applied wood glue to the edges to help bond the pieces together.
 
 
Now place your boards on a flat surface and place a square inside to make sure your cuts produced a perfect 90 degree.  Once you have your angle correct, secure the boards with the screws provided with the Kreg Joint Kit.  Make sure the screws are shorter than then the two boards length.
 
 
After screwing all the corners you should end up with a perfect square.
 
 
I then took a piece of beadboard which I cut a 1/4 inch shorter than the wood frame.  Since beadboard is slick, I lightly sanded it with a palm sander.
 
 
Once the beadboard has been roughly sanded, I applied a thin coat of white paint.  This is usually when I end up with paint on my face, elbow, the dog,etc......Once dry, I very lightly sanded the beadboard again to give it that aged look.
 
 
Now you can attach the beadboard to the back of your picture frame.  I used an air nailer with staples.  This works the best since the beadboard is very thin and the staples help pull it tight to the frame.  Start in one corner and work your way around.  Be sure to leave yourself a space in the top of your frame to attach a picture hanger.
 
 
Now find a picture frame that you think matches your work of art the best.  Using command strips attach the frame to the the beadboard.
 
 
You now have yourself an antique looking Photo Frame for only a few dollars.  And for you guys, you got to buy yourself a new tool. And you can never have enough tools. (Insert Tim "Tool Man" Grunt here.) Thanks for stopping by.  Maybe my wife will let me take a break for the holidays!!!!! :)
 
 
~Charlie
 
Linking up!!!
DIY Show Off
504 Main

5 comments:

  1. LOVE this!! And love that Charlie wrote the post!! So fun that you all are doing this together! The frame turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tonya! He just started on a 3 part frame and it is AMAZING! I can't wait to have him show that one off!

      Delete
  2. It turned out really cute!!! Awesome that you have a partner in this new journey you have set out on! Its so nice that he enjoys making things! I have Mark do things for me, he is usually not to enthused at first but then after he is finished he is usually pretty proud of it! He just has to many people to do projects for (TONYA),just kidding, Bobby has become quite the handyman. I'm not sure that he is quite as happy about doing it as Charlie is though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I think we're all pretty lucky to have these guys! Bobby, Mark & Charlie are all quite talented!

      Delete
  3. So easy with just hand tools! Definitely a weekends project!

    Hannah
    Best found miracle testimonies

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...